Saturday, October 15, 2011

SwellChel Does Pinterest: Book Exchange Party


One of the first images I pinned on Pinterest was this ...



I thought it was the CUTEST THING EVER and I wanted to host a book exchange party after reading all about it on Reid Girls Handmade.

Their post described the party, had pictures of their decor and even included a free template so readers could create a version of their invitation!  Their refreshment was a soup and grilled cheese bar (awesome!) Seriously, go check it out here.


I was dying to have a party just like it and finally did last week!



Here is the invite I created with the template from Reid Girls Handmade


I had whoever wanted to participate bring a wrapped book (used or new).

When they walked in I had blank bookplates for them to fill out with info on their wrapped book's title, author and why they picked the book.  They snuck them in a big envelope without peeking at everyone else's.  Later in the evening we had our Book Exchange.  

(I put my sample one in my Ikea Tolsby frames - the ones I declared my love for here)



My fellow bookworms picked a number out of a bowl and we just went in order.  Whoever's turn it was came up to the table of books and had to tell us their name & the last book they read.  Then they picked a new book and unwrapped it!  After unwrapping it I gave them the bookplate that the person filled out who brought it ... they could glue it in the book or use it as a bookmark maybe?


I had such a great time and it was so fun to not only see the books people brought but I loved hearing about the last book people read!  (I definitely added some books to my "to read" list!)



Of course I had to incorporate some "literary decor!"
The women at Reid Girls Handmade displayed quotes about reading at their party and I knew I wanted to do something similar.  I was going to put them in my Ikea Tolsby frames but when I saw a tutorial on printing onto burlap fabric using your printer I KNEW I had to try it!

I found the tutorial here.  It really did work!  Crazy, huh??!?!?
You basically iron the burlap onto 8.5 x 11" freezer paper until it sticks, and then feed that through the printer!

Here are the quotes I found to print ...
my favorite one might be "Never judge a book by its movie." - J.W. Eagan

After printing them I laid them out to make a banner and hot glued gunned thick twine on the back of them so I could hang it up!  I added some felt flowers on each side and this is how it turned out ...
(this was above the food table)

 We had some yummy treats like pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, pumpkin cobbler, autumn inspired magic bars, and apples with heath dip.

I had to display my book pumpkin that I created from a Pinterest find.

Here are the water bottles I made for the party.  I copied the idea from Reid Girls Handmade - isn't that fun?  and sooooo simple to make?

My awesome friend Alicia made these cute Halloween treats for everyone to bring home ... aren't they darling?   She found them at Martha Stewart here.





Pin It