Monday, March 5, 2012

SwellChel Does Pinterest: Spring Cleaning Edition




I can't even tell you how many times I see something on Pinterest and say, "I never knew _______ could clean that!"  There seems to be an abundance of cleaning-ideas on Pinterest ... and I have decided to put some of them to the test!!! 


Before I do let me tell you a few things:

1. Please do not judge the grungy state of my appliances in the "before" pictures ... I consider myself a "tidy" mom but I am the first to admit that deep cleaning is low on my list of priorities as a busy momma! :)

2. These before/after pictures are not picture-perfect, but i'm keeping it real and showing you exactly what the "after" state of my appliances are ... perfect or not!

1. Washing Machine ________________
To clean my washing machine I used a tutorial I found on Pinterest from Somewhat Simple here.
I've never ever cleaned out my washing machine before.  That's probably a no-no, but I didn't know any different.  My clothes were washing just fine, but once I inspected my washing machine a little bit closer I did notice a lot of grime/dirt. 


This is a picture of the top of my machine ... where I load the detergent,etc.  YUCKY before.  After cleaning it out with white-vinegar on a sponge it was spotless!

My machine is a front loader.  I started a cycle by adding 2 cups of white vinegar and letting it soak for an hour with a full load of water.  I then drained/rinsed that out.  I then did another load with 2 cups of bleach.

It's really hard to tell in my pictures (sorry!) but a lot of the grime was gone from inside of the washer and I used that same white-vinegar on a sponge to clean out the crevices along the drum.  I'm pretty pleased with this tutorial and I think this will be an annual spring-cleaning thing for me from now on!




2. Microwave _____________________

Ahhhhhhh .... my microwave.

It's a built-in from when my house was built ... 1987.  Really.  My microwave is 25 years old!!!  It doesn't even have a rotating plate in it.  When I microwave things like my kids' chicken nuggets I have to stop half-way through and rotate everything around!!!!!

I keep waiting for it to "crash and burn" but I think this sucker will be around until we re-do the kitchen in ten years :)

Anyways, I knew it would take a miracle to make my microwave "sparkling clean" inside, but I thought I would try a trick I saw on Pinterest anyways. 

The link is broken to the original source but I will just describe it to you :
I placed 1/2 cup of white vinegar and 1/2 cup of water together in a microwave-safe bowl and put it in my microwave on high for five minutes.  That's it! 

After I removed the bowl I used a paper-towel to wipe away anything left behind - and it all wiped up so easily ... no scrubbing or anything!  If anything I am mostly pleased with the deodorization job that the vinegar did!  I'll definitely use this trick again!




3. Dishwasher _________________

My dishwasher sees a lot of action... and not because I do a lot of dishes but because I have a toddler who thinks the dishwasher is the most fun toy ever.  My son takes dishes in and out of the dishwasher, steps on the door when it's open, etc.  My dishwasher is also an older appliance (not quite as ancient as my microwave though), and it works fine for my uses but the inside was definitely looking grungy.  I used an idea from Pinterest that linked to Real Simple here.  Basically I ran a normal cycle on an empty dishwasher with vinegar instead of dishwashing detergent.  I also wiped down the areas around the door edges since they were getting yucky.  I'm not sure if looks cleaner necessarily but it seems clean to me and definitely is deodorized.  Definitely an easy trick that I'll be using again!



(yes, the dishwasher door may be dirty from the bottoms of my toddlers feet!)

4. Stove Burners _________________

Out of all of the cleaning ideas I've seen on Pinterest I was MOST EXCITED ABOUT THIS ONE!  To say my stove burners are my least favorite part of my kitchen is an understatement!!!  They are impossible to clean, but if I do a somewhat decent job of cleaning them they only last a day.  I must be a messier cook than I thought!


The idea I saw on Pinterest for cleaning stove burners linked to The V Spot here.

Basically I put each stove burner in a large ziploc with ammonia inside and soaked it overnight.  The next morning I removed it and it was fairly easy to wipe off the residue.

My biggest complaint is the FUMES ... I needed to wear a little mask, and I definitely did not do it with my kids around.

I think it worked out pretty great but I wish there was something easier, longer-lasting and with no fumes.  Maybe someday :)


Do you have any amazing spring cleaning ideas?!?!  Please share!



I'm linked up to:

Oopsey Daisy
Skip To My Lou 

  Fun On A Dime

2 comments:

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

Wow, I need to pay more attention to cleaning tips on Pinterest! Great ideas. Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

Sarah said...

This is wonderful to know. I've got some nasty burners that need cleaning so I will have to try that trick and see if it works for me.
http://myownlittlecorner-sarahmoore.blogspot.com/