Wednesday, March 14, 2012

{Yummy Food Finds}: Triple Layer Mud Pie (Happy Pi Day!)


It's all my sister-in-law Hillary's fault!  I knew "Pi Day" was coming up (March 14th =3.14, get it?!!?  Yes, I'm a geek!) but I hadn't planned on making anything.  Then Hillary asked for a pie recipe.  Once I sent her the recipe for Triple Layer Mud Pie I knew I was in trouble ... I HAD to make it for Pi Day!  :)



I found the recipe in a Kraft Foods magazine years ago but found the link on the internet here.

I made it for a Pie-Bakeoff at church when we were newlyweds and it won first prize!  It soon became a go-to dessert for us and I've always loved how easy-peasy it is to make.  Remember, I'm not much of a cook/baker .... I've actually never made a fruit pie, pie crust, or anything like that.  This kind of recipe where you just throw in ingredients is right up my alley!

Here is the recipe straight from Kraft foods:

what you need


3
squares BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate, melted

1/4
cup canned sweetened condensed milk

1
 OREO Pie Crust (6 oz.)

1/2
cup chopped PLANTERS Pecans, toasted

2
pkg. (3.9 oz. each) JELL-O Chocolate Instant Pudding

2
cups cold 2% milk

1
tub (8 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed, divided

make it


MIX chocolate and condensed milk; pour into crust. Sprinkle with nuts.
BEAT pudding mixes and 2% milk with whisk 2 min.; spoon 1-1/2 cups over nuts. Stir half the COOL WHIP into remaining pudding; spread over pudding layer in crust.
TOP with remaining COOL WHIP. Refrigerate 3 hours.



I thought I would also include pictures of all of the different layers  (I'm a visual cook and I LOVE photo tutorials!)


1. Crust
(I'm so bummed my store was out of Oreo crusts ... 
but it might be better because the filling is SO chocolatey!)


2. Melted Chocolate mixed with Sweetened Condensed Milk

3. Chopped Pecans

4. Jell-O Pudding made with Milk

5. Part of the Jell-O Pudding mixed with Part of the Cool Whip


6. Cool Whip

Enjoy!

1 comment:

dede said...

Thanks for my piece ... It is even yummier than it looks!!!! Yum!!!!!! I love your cleaning post I am trying them all!!!